Monday, February 7, 2011

Bode Miller? I think not!

Just back from a week's skiing in the Italian Alps. What can I say? Fantastic! It was blue skies all the way. OK, OK, I know you hardened skiers out there would want lots of snow every day so that you can have deep powder off piste skiing, but as I'm not insured for off piste skiing (so would have to drag myself with two broken legs back onto piste to get the insurance) I was happy with the nice groomed pistes, the fabulous weather and the occasional restaurant and cafe. It was even pleasant enough to catch a few rays too. There's nothing better than reclining on chair in full skiing gear taking in some sun.

I managed my goals for the week:

  • I spent a lovely week with the one I love;
  • I did not fall down - not once!
  • I went down all of the black runs, even the one with moguls (OK, it took me the best part of 15 minutes but, hey, who's timing!);
  • I got a nice tan;
  • I had the best pasta and pizza you can get this side of Florence;
  • I forgot about work....entirely;
  • Apart from the odd ache or pain here and there, I came back relatively intact.
The holiday was arranged by a well known skiing travel agent. That's the first "arranged" holiday I've taken in almost 25 years, so I was a bit worried that it would turn out like Benidorm on ice. However, my fears were misplaced. The staff were subtle, hands-off and discreet. There were activities available, but we didn't use them. We did go on a wine and cheese tasting evening in and around the resort, which was more wine drinking than wine tasting (taste and swallow rather than spit). A very good evening was had by all!

Back to work now - and the grey, gloomy skies of Britain. But the glow of this holiday will take some time to subside and should see me safely through the rest of the winter.

I'd recommend the sport, and the experience, to anyone!

3 comments:

Oman Collective Intelligence said...

Glad you enjoyed your time in Italy. It is a nice place but unfortunately too many Italians...:)

Desertman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Desertman said...

Oooohh!! Watch what you're saying....I'm part Italian here!! :) They are pushy on the slopes though, but I forgive them everything because of the good food :)

By the way, I've been wanting to post a comment or two on your blog but the bit under "Post a Comment" is blank and I cannot write anything there. Is there a reason for that? On my blog, a little pop-up box appears when you click on the "Comments" link and you can post a comment there. Any help in how I go about posting a comment on your blog would be most helpful. Thanks.