Monday, November 22, 2010

Doing that downhill thing again....wooooosh!.....thump!!

Yes, it's that time of year when all of us who are not blessed with perfect winter weather (yes, I remember the sepia tinted halcyon days in Oman) turn our thoughts to winter pursuits other than heading to the beach for a top-up sun tan. For me and my partner, this means hurtling down a ski slope faster than I care to go and hoping that either I remember how to stop or there's some nice soft snow at the bottom.

Skiing is great. I'll say that again....skiing is GREAT!! For all of you out there who haven't tried it.....do so soon! For all of you out there who haven't seen snow yet, I suggest you start with a gentle game of snowballs, make a snow angel or build a snowman and progress from there. Snow is slippery, tricky stuff to get to know.

We're going to Italy this year. Last year was the big trip to Whistler, Canada, just before the Winter Olympics. I'm not sure Italy will live up to that because I was virtually in paradise last year! Forget your 70 virgins and rivers running with wine - I had so many pistes to choose from I don't think I unintentionally skied down any one piste more than once. The village was sublime and the food was excellent - especially Araxi restaurant. Fine dining indeed!!

We're off skiing in January, so wish me luck! Don't say "break a leg" - I may just do that!!

2 comments:

Blewyn said...

Awesome ! We were contemplating Whistler this year but damn that's a long an expensive flight from Oman ! How long did it take you ?

Looks like we're going to Murren / Grindelwald this year....can't wait to get on that snow :-) Did you see the Hell's Kitchen dude at the Araxi ?

Desertman said...

Well we had the advantage of starting of from the UK so it took us about 11 hours all told. It was literally paradise. Fabulous skiing all day and great entertainment at night. Yes, we went to Araxi and met the staff - my partner is a chef and knows the owner of Araxi so we had a tour and a few added extras :-) The ice wine was delicious.

This year we're off to Courmayeur in Italy - not quite as 'far away exotic' but nice nonetheless.

Whistler will always be on our radar to go back again some day.