Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's almost time!

Less than 6 weeks to go before I'm heading back to Oman for a holiday with my partner. I have a few questions which some may be able to answer or give advice on. It's been over 6 years since I lived in Muscat and over 4 since I have been back for a vacation. Knowing how fast things change there, it'd be good to get some advice. So here goes:

  • We're looking to go scuba diving. Is ODC still the place to go? Any other companies and/or locations reliable and good?
  • How do you get to go see the turtles these days? Last time I went, I drove down with an Omani friend of mine and we slept on Turtle Beach at Ras al-Had to wait for the turtles to come in, which they did. I imagine that's way too "unofficial" these days;
  • Is Jabrin Fort finished yet? Would love to go as it looked very interesting;
  • Best bar in town? I liked Al-Ghazal at the Intercon so we will likely go there for old times' sake. But other ideas would be welcomed;
  • How can we get to play a round of golf on a grass course? It was all sand when I lived in Oman!
  • Best shopping experience? I lived in Qurm and I see there's a City Centre there now. Is it better than the Seeb City Centre? Always felt a bit short changed there;
  • I hear A'Seefah beach is being developed. Is it still worth a visit for a day out at the beach? If not, where's the best place to go? I used to go to Qantab Beach but I hear it has declined lately;
  • Is Wadi Shab still a not-to-be-missed experience? I know there's a black top all the way there these days (what a shame) so it is well within striking distance, but if it is not as it was then we'll give it a miss and go somewhere else;
  • Any other advice?

Thanks a lot. See you in Oman (we may pass each other in the street - or the beach - or the shopping centre) and never know!

5 comments:

Nadia said...

Hi, I don't live in Muscat so I'm not sure about all your questions, but I do know 'The Wave' just launched their golf course. Andy wrote about it here

http://andyinoman.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/almouj-golf-course-at-the-wave-is-now-open-to-the-public/

Anonymous said...

Hiya!

Going to see if I can answer as much as I can :)

1 - I don't dive but I know friends who still go to ODC for it. Otherwise get hold of the people at Marina Bandar al Rowdha or Al Sawadi Resort as I know others who go there.

2 - I think you have to go through the hotels/companies to see the turtles now. Ras al-Jinz Turtle Reserve is the place to go as they have priority if I remember right.

3 - No idea, sorry.

4 - Al Ghazal is a bit cattlemarket, but so are most the places here. I feel most comfy in Left Bank or the Piano Bar at ShangriLa, but what can I say, I'm a classy lady!

5 - Golf = as DG mentioned, check with Andy in Oman or Muscat Mutterings re the new course.

6 - Qurm City Centre is pointless. I only go there because it is closer to home than Seeb, but if I want "proper" (and I use the term loosly) I go to MCC, which now has the M&S there but no Borders :(

7 - The couple of times I've been to Qantab beach it has been filthy, while ODC means dealing with some interesting staff members! There is a new hotel at Jebel Sifah called Sifawy and it looks amazing, don't know about the beach being public tho.

8 - Not sure.

9 - Fancy bringing me some jammy dodgers and parma ham over? Lol :) have fun.

OB

Anokhi said...

For the turtles you need to book a permit in advance to go on one of the turtle watching tours. Contact: reservations@rasaljinz-turtlereserve.com You can either stay at the turtle nesting beach itself - at Ras Al Jinz scientific centre, or at Turtle Beach Resort at Ras Al Hadd.

Anonymous said...

Yes I know people who still go to ODC
Best Bar - I personally like Park Inn (rooftop) with this gorgeous weather and Left Bank (Majan). I have heard John Barry bar at the Hyatt is also good.
Shopping - I still stick with Seeb City Centre.
Enjoy!!

Desertman said...

Thanks for all your advice. I'll get cracking and make some bookings so that we don't miss out when we're over.

TheOmaniBrit: Love both Jammy Dodgers and Parma Ham. I'll gladly bring some for you but they may be a little nibbled by the time they get to you - it's a long flight from the UK you know!

Is D'Arcy's Kitchen still at Shatti Qurm Beach shopping area? That was my favourite cafe.