Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I travel on business a lot and I tend to use planes and rental cars almost exclusively. In the 18 years I was out of the UK as an expat, I hardly ever used the train. Now, I find I favour them when travel is not compulsory. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford an advanced 1st class most trips, which allows me the luxury of a relaxed journey, with a guaranteed reserved seat and great views of the countryside passing by.

Compare that with air travel, which is full of checks and security, rude airline staff, delays and cancellations at the drop of a hat and cramped seats on short haul flights. Sure, long haul trips are the strict preserve of the airliner, but give me the train any day when it comes to travelling in style!

No comments: